Friday, March 14, 2014

Some Nuts & Bolts -- officiating resumes and references (June 2012)

So, we're knee-deep in work for the upcoming All 8 On The Floor tournament that Worcester Roller Derby is hosting in August. Applications have closed, and now we're sifting through the applications. Generally, this sifting means going through the applications, looking at resumes, and checking references. We're doing this background work for two reasons; first, figuring out who we're accepting to work the tournament and who we aren't, but, second, where we're going to staff the people we do accept. (We use a similar process for Empire Skate Showdown, FYI, and those applications are still open for another two weeks.)

For All 8, we require people not only to submit an application but also a officiating resume.  We got some questions back about what that is, and I was reminded of a friend who tried building hers retroactively, which resulted in a lot of scrambling, hair-pulling, and misery.

We wanted to spare y'all a taste of that agony.

Your officiating resume is basically a list of what bouts you worked, when and where they were, who you worked with, and what you did when you were there.

As an example, here's mine -- messy link and all.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgmrY8KZG3urdDJUWUFLdmdtU0o3RmRUN3o1ZDgzdmc#gid=0

Basically, it gives you an overview of what I've worked and what my development's been like as an official.

There are a lot of different ways to set these officiating resumes up. Mine could use a little tweaking; I don't have a section for Head Ref, which is really useful when you're trying to track down evaluations you'd like to have filed. Others have the official's contact information and league affiliation listed on them. I run mine with most recent bout first --  because otherwise you're scrolling through stuff I did in 2008. As I added more, I dropped things like those half-hour bouts that are really fun, but don't actually count as a bout, because they aren't full-length. Unless I'm working a full-length sanctioned or regulation bout, I usually don't list it--tournaments get listed as their own thing (i.e. Beast of the East, which I love doing, doesn't run any full-length bouts, so I don't list those individual bouts.)

Advantages:
You can pretty quickly track what you've done and what you haven't done, so if you're looking to diversify your experience, an officiating resume is a good way to see what you still need to do.
Also, you can show what you've done. I guarantee, if you apply for a tournament, and I'm THR and not totally sure who you are, I will look. I will check your references and read your officiating resume to see what you're doing and at what level. Those things help me decide where I want to staff you.


Couple of tips:
Grab programs from any bout you work; that way you have about all the information you need.
Update frequently, especially if you work every weekend.
Start now. That's why we wanted All 8 folks to start working on one; every tournament you apply to work will ask for one. Don't leave it until the last minute.

And, finally, a couple of quick notes on references:
Think of these like job references. You wouldn't list someone on your job application as a reference without asking them first. Don't do it here. (Besides, it's just good manners to ask!)

I recently got a reference check for someone whose derby name I didn't even recognize and emailed back saying, "Um, I'm not so sure who this is -- what league are they with? Where are they from?" and then, after some back and forth, figured out who it was! Don't be that guy.

Think about the quality of your references. You want to present yourself in a good light, but also a realistic one. Your head ref should probably be listed, but you'll want to think about who else can give a realistic and forthright appraisal of your strengths and weaknesses. Believe me, it's better to have someone who can say, "Yep, this person's pack definition is a little iffy--s/he calls 20 feet kinda short--but s/he is really solid at keeping pace and positioning on outside pack" than "This ref is awesome!" See what I mean? (PS: I made those up; we're not talking about anyone in particular here.)

EDIT: My favorite and least-useful reference reply so far: "[Name of ref] is a rules Yoda." Hilarious, but not at all helpful.

Choose references who are actually prepared to reply to a reference request.  I've sent a lot of unanswered email asking about officials, and it isn't a benefit to you if your references don't reply. It means I have less information about your skills and often affects where you end up being staffed, especially if you're newer.  Also, and though this point seems obvious, it's important: please make sure you actually list the correct email or phone number for your references. Double-check it, and then check it again before hitting that SUBMIT button.

As a side note, just because I don't think people know this point, it's considered (as far as I've learned, anyway) best practice not to have the tournament head ref be one of your references. I know, it's a drag, but think about it: it's kind of like listing the boss as your reference for the job you want to land, no? (This one I learned the hard way; it's also why I have three people on tap for references, so if an application only needs two, but one of my three is the THR, then I'm still covered.)


No comments:

Post a Comment